Thanos, also known as the Dark Lord by his most loyal underlings and the Mad Titan by the galactic communities, is a tremondously powerful, cosmic Titan warlord who rules over a distant region of space and also commands a massive army known as the Chitauri. His own main objective is to obtain the Infinity Stones to balance the universe by wiping out half of all life as he believed thar the universe's vast population would condemn it, and his desire to achieve this goal is what led him to forging deals with the villains Loki and Ronan the Accuser in their respective campaigns against Earth and Xandar. Both of these new alliances cost Thanos much of his resources, including one of the stones and the loyalty of his two daughters, Gamora and Nebula, and also inadvertently resulted in the formation of the two superhero groups the Avengers and the Guardians of the Galaxy. Eventually, he lost his patience with his servants and opted to seek out the Stones personally, forcing the Dwarves to create the Infinity Gauntlet so he can channel the power of all six Stones silmutaneously.
Thanos launched a ferocious warpath across the Galaxy to acquire the Infinity Stones and complete the Infinity Gauntlet, killing many, such as half of the survivors of Asgard's destruction, Heimdall, Loki, and even, albeit remorsefully, his beloved Gamora. Although he faced Wakanda, Masters of the Mystic Arts, Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy, Thanos defeated the heroes who fought him on Titan and then headed to Wakanda and effortlessly overpowered all the heroes who opposed him before completing the Gauntlet after reversing the destruction of the Mind Stone and Vision and ripping it out of the android's head. Even after Thor nearly killed him, Thanos succesfully achieved his goal and triumphed over his enemies upon snapping his fingers, wiping out half of the universe.
Fall of TitanEdit
Thanos was born to Alars and an unknown woman as a member of the Titans, an anomyious and extremely powerful species that lived on a planet they named after themselves. Although he was shunned for being deformed and his genius, Thanos unconditionally and deeply loved his people. When Titan became threatened by over-population, Thanos desperately did everything he could to save his home and proposed they kill off half of the Titans but it was considered far too extreme and rejected. Ultimately, the catastrophe hit Titan and the race was left nearly extinct with only him as the sole survivor and the planet was devastated. Saddened that his plan was not done, Thanos became determined to not let other planets suffer the same fate and became possibly the most powerful and feared warlord in the galaxy, ruling over a distinct region of space and gaining control of the deadly Chitauri and Outriders armies, massacaring half of all species so the other half may survive.
Training his DaughtersEdit
- "Flesh is weak. Weakness must be cast aside for the sake of power."
Thanos collected orphans from the species he massacred to adopt and be trained as loyal liutenants, forming the Black Order, composed of his most loyal liutenants. When he massacred the Zehoberei race, Thanos saw a young Zehoberei named Gamora fighting back against her captor and intrested, asked on her name and decided to adopt her, taking her away from the view and teaching her on his methodology of balance via a switch-blade as his army carried out the massacre. Unlike his other children, Thanos grew to deeply care for Gamora, considering her the finest of his children and favoring her above all others. However, while Gamora once was loyal to him, she grew to openly hate him and everything connected to him, which Thanos was aware of but still believed she cared for him and can become loyal again and inherit his throne. He also massacred the Luphomoids to adopt Nebula. Thanos was very cruel to Nebula and usually when Nebula lost in a duel against Gamora, Thanos removed a body part from her.
Quest for the Infinity StonesEdit
Thanos eventually realised that he cannot massacre all life in the universe with only his army as there are too many and he eventually learned that the Infinity Stones, objects of immense power that held considerable dominance over the various forces that occupied the universe, can change this and forged several alliances in order to locate them. He successfully located at least one of the stones; the Mind Stone, hiding it inside a Scepter that was capable of manipulating minds.
Through many years of searching, Thanos discovered a lead on the Orb's location, sending Nebula and Gamora to the Cloud Tombs of Praxius under the command of his ally, the Kree soldier Korath the Pursuer. Nebula fell victim to a trap during the mission, and Thanos, not one to tolerate failure, forbade Gamora from rescuing her. Nebula was forced to amputate her own arm in order to escape. The Orb was never recovered, but Thanos let the failure pass and resumed his search.
Thanos once send Gamora to retrieve the Soul Stone but she lied to him that she didin't found it but being as perceptive as he is, Thanos was easily able to see through the deception and knowing that Gamora's closeness to Nebula would make her tell him the truth, used the memory implants on Nebula to reveal she did find it, but kept this to himself until he decided to hunt for the Stones personally.
Thanos discovered that the Tesseract was on Earth and allied himself with Loki in order to retrieve it, providing him the Scepter and his Chitauri army, who would help him conquer the planet in exchange for the Tesseract. Through his intermediary, The Other, Thanos threatened the Asgardian god of mischief, saying that if he failed in delivering the Tesseract, Thanos would force him to endure a new kind of suffering.
Despite his vast army of the Chituari and powerful weapons, Loki was quickly defeated and scepter-laden Infinity Stone ended up in HYDRA's hands while the Tesseract transported to Asgard by Thor, along with the now captured Loki. The Other reported to his master, who has his back turned, that the Earth's inhabitants were not as weak as they were thought to be. He also declared that challenging the Earth's heroes would be to court Death. To this, Thanos rose to his feet, turned around and simply smiled at the prospect.
Some time later, Thanos brokered a deal with his old ally, Ronan the Accuser of the Kree Empire, promising to lend a fraction of his forces in a genocide against the Xandarians in exchange for locating the Orb for the Mad Titan. Ronan and Korath the Pursuer quickly discovered the true location of the Orb on Morag and attempted to deliver it to Thanos, but an unexpected turn of events meant the stone fell into the possession of Ravager member, Star-Lord.
Unwilling to be denied the stone, Thanos ordered Ronan to pursue Quill and recover the stone, sending Gamora to aid the Kree in his pursuit. Gamora found Quill first, cornering him on Xandar where he was attempting to sell the Orb. She recovered it, but what Thanos did not realize is that Gamora had chosen to cut all ties with him and now planned on handing the Orb over to another party, suspected to be the infamous Collector, who also sought the stones.
When Ronan relayed news of Gamora's betrayal to Thanos which he had learned had been planned for some time, the Kree berated the Mad Titan for not taking the situation seriously and even murdered The Other when he lectured Ronan on not showing Thanos respect. Undaunted by The Other's death and Ronan's complaints, Thanos faced Ronan directly and clearly intimidating the Kree, showed his anger for him failing and aliniating his favored daughter Gamora and furiously told him that if he failed again, he would bathe the starways in Thanos's blood. He instructed Nebula to take Gamora's place as Ronan's aide.
Betrayed by Ronan the AccuserEdit
As Ronan the Accuser and Nebula both eventually stole the Orb from Gamora, Star-Lord, and their allies, but when Thanos was contacted by Ronan to be updated on their progress, he was furious to discover that the Kree, having experienced the true power of the Orb, intended on keeping the Infinity Stone for himself, despite Korath the Pursuer expressing his fear of Thanos being the most powerful being in the universe.
Nebula joined with Ronan, contemptuous towards Thanos after the horror he forced her to endure throughout her youth. Now believing himself superior to Thanos, Ronan promised to come after the Dark Lord when Xandar was destroyed. Unphased, Thanos cut contact with them without a word. Ronan would eventually perish at the hands of the Guardians of the Galaxy, who gave the Orb to the Nova Corps, making another Infinity Stone lost to Thanos.
Coming Out to the OpenEdit
- "Fine. I'll do it myself."
With both Loki and Ronan the Accuser having failed Thanos in their tasks of conquering worlds and bringing him the Infinity Stones, and both of his daughters lost to him, Thanos had finally grown tired with the lack of progress in his crusade and decided to take matters into his own hands. Thanos created the Infinity Gauntlet by forcing the Dwarves to do so and began to hunt for the Infinity Stones himself, believing himself to be capable of completing the task, smiling confidently to himself at the prospect of victory.
Massacare of the XandariansEdit
Thanos began by attacking Xandar and defeated and destroyed the Nova Corps and Nova Empire and succesfully retrieved the Power Stone before massacaring half of Xandar's population as part of his goal to balance the universe.
Attack on StatesmanEdit
A week after he decimated Xandar, Thanos attacked the Statesman and massacred half of the Asgardians while letting the other half live and escape as always in his massacares and personally confronted and easily overpowered and severely beat Thor. He then leveraged Thor's life for the Space Stone that Loki saved from Ragnarok, ruthlessly torturing him until Loki agreed. However, he is attacked and briefly pummeled by Hulk after Loki summoned the Tesseract and distracted him long enough, although he left the Tesseract behind and only saved Thor. Despite this, Thanos quickly recomposed himself and soundly pummeled him to a pulp but is ambushed and punched by Thor, which Thanos returned by kicking him away and he is about to kill Hulk when Heimdall used his last shred of Dark Magic to send Hulk to Earth. Unpertubed, Thanos killed Heimdall calmly with Glaive's scythe and then removed his armor and took the Tesseract to his hand and then crushed it. After ordering his children to find the Stones on Earth, Thanos is confronted by Loki, who seemed to want to rejoin him by appealing to the fact that he is moee experienced on Earth than the Black Order. Thanos is not fooled, however, correctly deducing Loki wants to assassinate him, and simply mocked on the experience being acquired by Loki's failure on his invasion and unconvinced by Loki's pretending to worship him, casually parried Loki's knive stab and then mocked him sarcastically for choosing the word undying and not saying wiser words before choking him while looking mockingly at Thor. Unfazed by Loki's defiant threats that he will never achieve true godhood, Thanos calmly crushed his neck and dropped it to Thor's knees and mocked him that Loki is truly dead before detonating the ship and warping himself and his children out.
Ambushing the Guardians on KnowhereEdit
Thanos arrived on Knowhere to take the Reality Stone from Tivan long before the Guardians and after most likely killing him, turned the Aether back to the Reality Stone and inserted it into the Gauntlet. He accurately predicted that the Guardians would come and used the newly acquired Reality Stone to alter the reality of Knowhere as an illusion to surprise and ambush the Guardians. Thanos revealed the deception after Gamora killed his illusionary self, saying that he know she still cared for him deep down and boasted that with the Reality Stone, Reality itself can be whatever he wants. Thanos offered Gamora a peaceful return to his side, implying that he would spare the Guardians if she willingly joined him. Off course, Gamora refused and is easily restrained by Thanos before she could grab Godslayer. Drax furiously attempted to help but Thanos calmly gave him a mocking smirk and used the Reality Stone to turn Drax into pieces and did the same to Mantis. Thanos was then confronted by Star-Lord, who he mocked for being unable to kill Gamora. Thanos then calmly turned the Blasters into bubbles and warped away.
Sacrifice of GamoraEdit
Back on his ship, Thanos gave Gamora food, believing that she was hungry, but Gamora tosses it to his throne, saying bitterly that she always hated the throne, which Thanos simply retorted to by saying yet he always hoped she would sit on it. Having already heard Gamora's repeated confessions of hatred for his ship and life, Thanos remained unfazed by all of Gamora's angry statements and simply said that he saved her when Gamora reminisced on how she was a child when Thanos took her. Thanos then revealed to Gamora on how thanks to his massacre of half the population, Zen-Whoberi now prospered and simply dismissed it as a small price to pay for salvation when Gamora angrily said it. Thanos remained calm even as Gamora denies everything that Thanos believes and reminded Gamora on how she once had the same will as he had and that it was due to his training that she became the fiercest woman in the Galaxy and he was so confident in her abillities that he even send her to locate the Soul Stone, which she sarcastically apologized for failing to do.
However, Thanos was unfazed and said that he is disappointed not because she did not find the location but she did and lied. He took Gamora to reveal that Nebula has been captured and tortured her in front of Gamora. Even though Gamora desperately sought to conceal it, Thanos revealed that he is aware that Gamora had lied to him, going as far as to say that while Thanos turned her into the warrior and assassin she is now, he never taught her to lie and thus she is never a good liar before beginning to torture Nebula further. Giving in, Gamora tells Thanos the stone is on Vormir. Gamora and Thanos travel to Vormir via a portal from the Space Stone where they meet Red Skull, who guided them to the top of a nearby cliff.
The guardian of the Soul Stone explained to Thanos that obtaining the Stone requires the sacrifice of a loved one. Upon hearing this, Gamora mocked Thanos as heartless and uncaring, but Thanos, having truly loved Gamora as his daughter, sheds tears that he would have to kill her. Although Gamora was genuinely surprised and almost looked happy for a moment, she quickly and desperately attempted suicide but Thanos used the Reality Stone to turn her knive into bubbles and tearfully apologised before he then threw her off the cliff still in tears. A light bursts out that briefly knocked Thanos out but once he awoke, he found the Soul Stone in his right hand and inserted it into his Infinity Gauntlet.
Battle of TitanEdit
After sacrificing Gamora, Thanos arrives on Titan to retrieve the Time Stone from Doctor Strange. Thanos swiftly deduced that Ebony Maw died upon seeing Strange free and waiting for him but showed no regard for it, only commenting that he accomplished his mission neverthless. Remaining unfazed by Strange's confident threat that he may regret Maw bringing him face-to-face with him due to his mastery of the mystic arts, Thanos simply asked Strange where did he think Maw brought him to and corrected Strange when he calmly guessed Titan as being his home, saying it was. The Titan then told him about the history of his planet while altering the reality around it to show it's former beauty before stopping. He then explains on how he plans to commit painless and randomly fair genocide across the entire universe with the assistance of the Infinity Stones, after which he simply intended to rest.
After that, Iron Man dropped a massive piece of debris on him, which only served to infuriate Thanos, who simply blasted away the rubble and transformed it into an endless swarm of bats and hurled them at Iron Man, forcing him to flee. Spider-Man then used his webbing to blind Thanos, and Drax quickly slashed him with his knives while Doctor Strange conjured a sword made of Eldritch Magic to engage Thanos in close combat, but Thanos swiftly composed himself and quickly overwhelmed them, overtaking Drax through several stones and blowing away Doctor Strange upon bringing down his Eldritch Magic shield with a kick. However, Star-Lord maneuvered through Thanos's blasts with aid from Doctor Strange, who conjured platforms for him to jump on and shot him before planting an explosive on Thanos' back, which briefly stunned him. The Cloak of Levitation wrapped itself around the gauntlet and Spider-Man attacked Thanos, but it only served to irritate the titan, who swiftly pinned Peter down and angrily called him an insect before flinging him at Strange, knocking him to the ground. Iron Man caused a massive explosion next to Thanos, who remained once again uninjured and simply used the Infinity Gauntlet to absorb and blast the flames back at him. Thanos was once again attacked by Spider-Man but he easily broke out of his web and used it to pull Spider-Man towards him, striking him in the face.
Suddenly, a Necrocraft crashed upon Thanos but he easily survived and was punched by Nebula. Coldly greeting his former adopted daughter, Thanos blatantly dismissed killing her as being a "waste of parts". He then swiftly overpowered her but the group took advantage of the time Nebula bought and managed to barely restrain Thanos. Doctor Strange restricted the gauntlet while Drax, Iron Man and Spider-Man restrained Thanos' arms and legs, allowing Mantis to inflict sleep upon him using her powers. Star-Lord then mocked Thanos and demanded the location of Gamora, visibly causing him to become crest-fallen. Mantis then revealed that Thanos was mourning, which led Nebula to understand in horror and sadness that he had sacrificed her for the Soul Stone. Star-Lord then angrily questioned Thanos to tell her that Nebula was lying and Thanos emotionally said he had to. Infuriated, Star-Lord punched Thanos, causing Mantis to lose her control over him. Freed from his trance and now truly furious upon being reminded of how he was forced to kill Gamora, which only served to make him more determined to complete his goal so as not to let her sacrifice be in vain, Thanos brutally attacked the group, taking down the Guardians with a single wild shockwave and then using the gauntlet to pulverize an entire moon, which he then hurled at his opponents in a hail of meteors, taking advantage of Titan's unusually high gravitational pull to make the projectiles much more rapid and faster to force Spider-Man to focus on saving the unconcincious Guardians so he may fight Strange.
Thanos then confronted and ferociously dueled the sorcerer upon cornering him, with Strange launching the first strike with fiery beams. Thanos leaped into the air to avoid them and retaliated with a blast of energy from the gauntlet. Strange summoned the Mirror Dimension to absorb it and then hurled it back at Thanos. Thanos responded by crushing it with the Power Stone, unable to be trapped inside thanks to the Reality Stone, and then threw the remnants back at Strange in the form of a destructive black hole with the Space Stone, which Strange transmuted into blue butterflies. However, Thanos eventually won when he dispelled the many replicas of Doctor Strange the sorcerer conjured with the Soul and Power Stones and sundered his Astral Form out of his body until he regained control but it stunned him long enough that Thanos was able to pull him to his hand before he can react. Thanos admitted he was impressed by Strange's mastery over Magic but soon realized he has removed the Time Stone and tossed him aside after crushing the Eye of Agamotto.
Before he could look for it, Iron Man, being the final Avenger standing, used a trap to restrain Thanos' gauntlet hand. After a brief conversation in which Thanos revealed that thanks to the Soul Stone, he now knew who Iron Man was and what drives him, which Stark expressed his profound grudge towards him, Thanos was attacked relentlessly by all of Iron Man's advanced technology but remained uninjured until he was eventually striked with enough force to bleed. Unfazed, Thanos simply mocked Iron Man for drawing so minimal blood after all his efforts and effortlessly caught Iron Man off-guard and brutally beat him down, badly damaging his armor. He used the gauntlet to deflect Iron Man's repulsor beams before punching off his helmet, breaking off his sword and stabbing him in the gut with it. Thanos admitted his respect for Stark before beginning to use the Stones to execute him. However, Doctor Strange intervened, offering the Time Stone in exchange for Stark's life. Thanos agreed but reminded Strange to not attempt any magic and despite Iron Man's vain attempts to stop Strange, Strange manifested and let the Time Stone float to Thanos, who then inserted the stone into the gauntlet, leaving him with only one more to collect: the Mind Stone. Suddenly, Star-Lord appeared out of nowhere and began shoot at him but Thanos remained completely uninjured and simply left for Earth.
Battle of WakandaEdit
Having obtained the powers of the Time, Space, Reality, Soul and Power Stones, Thanos arrives on Wakanda to retrieve the final Infinity Stone, the Mind Stone. He confronts Captain America, Black Widow, Falcon, War Machine, Bruce wearing Hulkbuster, Black Panther, Okoye and Groot single-handedly without fear and after briefly staring at his enemies, calmly walks towards them as they began their attempt to repel him.
Even with all of his army destroyed, Thanos with the nearly complete Infinity Gauntlet proves to be practically invincible and far too powerful for all of his opposers and he makes short work of them, effortlessly stopping Hulkbuster and imprisoning it in solid stone by making it intangible for a while, effortlessly sending Captain America to the ground, easily catching Black Panther in the neck when he charged at him and negated Black Panther's attempt to use his energy pulse upon choking him before slamming him down to the ground to redirect it, downing two individuals within seconds.
He then calmly sending Falcon to the ground after easily withstanding his bullets, casually crushing and twisting the guns of War Machine's armor and pinning him with large debris to interfere with his flight before simply flinging him away, knocking down Winter Soldier soon after with a single shockwave of energy, stopping Okoye's spear and easily downing her to the ground, trapping Black Widow with large concrete walls and then easily breaking out of Groot's vines and incatipating him as well.
As he approaches Vision and Scarlet Witch, Captain America desperately buys time as much as he can and to Thanos's shock, is able to land a few hits on him and block his Infinity Gauntlet hand, but it is only temporary as Thanos swiftly dispatches the Super Soldier with a single punch. Now free of distractors, Thanos is about to retrieve Vision's Mind Stone when he saw Scarlet Witch try to destroy it. Thanos tries to stop it but Wanda is able to push him back, although he slowly charges through the beam but it is too late as Wanda destroys the Mind Stone before he could get to them.
Rather than angrily killing the girl for her hinderance of his goals, Thanos sympathised with her tearful sacrifice of Vision to destroy the Mind Stone, as he too had sacrificed Gamora for the Soul Stone. Activating the Time Stone, Thanos turned back time and reversed Wanda's actions, restoring both Vision and the Mind Stone. Before Wanda could intervene, Thanos forcefully ripped the Stone from Vision's head, killing him in the process. The Mad Titan placed the Stone within the Gauntlet, and with all six Stones assembled, assumed infinite power and control over the universe.
Moments after the Infinity Gauntlet's completion, Thor arrived on the scene and struck Thanos with a lightning bolt. Thanos fired an energy beam in response but he was not able to use it to it's full potential due to the shock, which the Asgardian took full advantage of by fully charging and throwing Stormbreaker with all his might, which quickly cut through the incompletely powered beam. The axe ultimately struck Thanos in the chest, gravely wounding him. However, the Mad Titan appeared unfazed by his injury, even as Thor forced the blade of the axe deeper. After a brief moment of pretending to be dying, Thanos taunted Thor that he should have aimed for his head, and before his stunned opponent could react, he snapped his fingers. Energy surged from the Gauntlet, with a blinding light flooding the battlefield; the universe was about to be altered on an unprecedented scale.
Thanos briefly passed out, and to his great surprise, reawakened in a vast orange void within the Soul Stone. The void was empty, save for Thanos himself and one building in the distance. The building resembled the same archway on Zen-Whoberi where Thanos and Gamora met many years ago. Sure enough, as Thanos approached the arch, he encountered the child Gamora once again. Thanos excitedly told her that he had finally completed his mission. When Gamora asked "what did it cost?", he became solemn in his demeanor. Thanos simply replied, "Everything".
Regaining normal consciousness, Thanos returned to his body in Wakanda. Upon seeing the damages inflicted on the scorched Gauntlet, Thor furiously questioned Thanos about the finger-snap, but he offered no answers and simply mockingly smirked at Thor, having completed his goal despite Thor's best efforts, before teleporting away with the Space Stone, proving that the Gauntlet can still function. As half of all life across the universe began to disintegrate as a result of the snap, a fully healed Thanos reappeared on another planet. He rested in a small hut with a view overlooking the alien countryside. Having at long last accomplished his objective, Thanos peacefully gazed out to the rising sun and smiled satisfactoraly, content at his victory but still mourning over Gamora.
Thanos is considered by many to be the ultimate personification of power hunger, sadism, cruelty, megalomania, infinite destruction, death, power and madness, with his search for the Infinity Stones being widely considered to control all of existence. He desired to use the Tesseract to look beyond the known worlds to find greater ones that it would unveil. He is also completely relentless by finding children that he can raise to be assassins and forcing them to watch as he murders their families and tirelessly searching for the Infinity Stones.
Thanos is exceptionally intimidating due to his well-known unforgiving nature, with Ronan the Accuser showing visible signs of fear in his presence and Loki doing so at the mere mention of him, as well as being able to command the Chitauri army unchallenged. He punishes failure severely, as The Other warned Loki that he would know a new kind of pain if he did not give them the Tesseract, although while Thanos ruthlessly killed him, he did not torture him first before killing him, likely deeming him to not be worth it. Thanos furiously threatened to bathe the starways in Ronan's blood if he failed to deliver the Orb and forbade Gamora from rescuing Nebula when the latter fell into a trap whilst on a mission in the Cloud Tombs of Praxius. He has no regard for his followers, even his adopted children, showing absolutely no empathy when Ronan killed The Other and referring to Gamora as his "favorite daughter", even with Nebula present. He was unfazed by Maw and the Black Order's deaths.
He inspires no love to any weaker ones of his children, as he cruelly removes Parts of Nebula and replaced them with cybernatics, causing her to Deeply resent Thanos. This cruelty towards Nebula turned Gamora against him. He proves his complete lack of care for Nebula when he coldly brutally tortured her and held such a low regard pf her that he called killing her to be a waste of parts.
However, Thanos is not completely without love, as he grew to genuinely care for and Deeply love Gamora AS his daughter. He was known for favoring her above all of his children. Thanos was Deeply remorseful and saddened when he had to kill her.
He is also manipulative and mistrustful, sending Ronan to retrieve the Orb for him and not telling him that it contained an Infinity Stone. He keeps a low profile, lurking in the shadows and making others do his work for him. However, after both of his alliances backfired, he decided to hunt for the Infinity Stones himself.
He is also highly confident, to the point of borderline arrogance, as he was shown to be smiling when The Other told him challenging the Avengers is like courting Death. He also smiled confidently after deciding to hunt for the Infinity Stones himself.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
Thanos is an immensely powerful Titan, feared throughout the galaxy as among the most powerful beings in the universe, if not the very most powerful. He is able to easily overpower beings such as Thor and Hulk, intimidate the likes of Ronan the Accuser and Loki and commands his Chitauri and Outriders legions unchallenged. The Confederacy, despite their combined strength, openly admitted that their forces could not face Thanos and said even if Glenn Talbot, in his initial stages of having Gravitonium, were to join forces with the Avengers, he would still lose. When Ronan the Accuser was about to betray Thanos and take the Power Stone for himself, Korath the Pursuer strongly suggested it against it, fearfully acknowledging Thanos as being the most powerful being in the universe and expressed doubt that even Ronan powered by the Power Stone along with himself and Nebula can defeat Thanos. Thanos himself showed no concern of Ronan's threats to kill him with the Power Stone. When Nebula told Gamora that she planned to kill Thanos, Gamora stated that she didn't know if it was possible, and even Thor acknowledged that he needed Stormbreaker if he were to face Thanos, as fighting the Mad Titan without it would be suicidal. The immensity of Thanos's power is displayed by his ability to effortlessly handle the power of the Infinity Stones, even being able to survive wielding all six with the Gauntlet without being harmed.
- Immortality: Thanos is effectively immortal, as he has reigned for thousands of years without any change to his power or appearance. Their immortality also makes them invulnerable to most forms of damage, as even Gamora has stated that killing Thanos may not be possible, and the only known weapon with the power to kill Thanos was Stormbreaker, the most powerful weapon forged from Uru, and only if the axe was powered to the maximum and the attack was lethal.
- Superhuman Strength: Thanos has displayed terrifying levels of superhuman strength, capable of easily brandishing the Infinity Stones without being harmed, even wielding all six with the Infinity Gauntlet without strain. During his acquisition of the Tesseract, Thanos effortlessly overpowered and severely beat Thor almost to death and was able to casually restrain and drag him despite Thor's best resistances and while Hulk briefly surprised and pummeled him, Thanos was quickly able to break out of Hulk's mighty grip on him and proceeded to effortlessly overpower and knock him out, beating the nearly invulnerable and immensely strong gamma monster to a bloody pulp and crippling him so badly that Hulk would refuse to transform ever since. He also proved capable of easily crushing the Tesseract to reveal the Space Stone and after easily forcing Loki's knife hand aside upon his attempted assassination, Thanos effortlessly lifted and then snapped Loki's neck with one hand. During the Battle of Titan, Thanos was able to easily overpower and knock out Drax the Destroyer through stones with a single punch, destroy Doctor Strange's magical shields with a kick while silmutaneously blowing him away, easily pin down and break out of Spider-Man's webs within moments and use the web to pull Spider-Man to him and quickly overtake and send Nebula flying with a single punch. Even a powerful binding spell used by Doctor Strange combined with Drax holding his legs, Star-Lord's blasters emitting electricity, and Spider-Man webbing him were barely able to restrain him long enough for Mantis to force him into a deep slumber and even then, Thanos was still able to put up a fierce enough of a fight that Iron Man and Spider-Man were unable to pull off the Infinity Gauntlet and upon waking up, Thanos was easily able to swat Mantis and Drax away, break out of Strange's binding spell and regain the Infinity Gauntlet from Spider-Man. While restrained by the hundreds of Eldritch Whips from Doctor Strange's replicas, Thanos was casually able to activate the Infinity Gauntlet to break free. He then easily overpowered Iron Man in his Mark L Armor, tearing apart the armor easily with his hands. Upon arriving on Wakanda to retrieve the Mind Stone, Thanos effortlessly stopped Black Panther's full-force charge with a single hand and then slammed Black Panther with enough force to cause his Panther Habit's nanites to overload with energy and expel a kinetic pulse, and very nearly overpowered Captain America with a single hand, soon easily knocking him out with a single punch. Upon reconstructing Vision, Thanos then effortlessly lifted the android off the ground and quickly ripped the Mind Stone from Vision's body, tearing through the Vibranium housing with ease.
- Superhuman Durabillity: Thanos has incalculable levels of resilience and durability, rendering him capable of easily handling the Infinity Stones without being harmed and even wielding the power of all six Stones with Infinity Gauntlet without strain. Hence, during the Attack on the Statesman, Thanos was able to emerge out of a one-on-one fight with a mature Thor without sustaining any injuries while the latter was beaten almost to death and then remain completely uninjured and barely fazed by blows from Hulk, afterwards remaining unfazed by a blow from Thor. During the Battle of Titan, the combined efforts of Doctor Strange, Iron Man, Spider-Man, and the Guardians of the Galaxy proved to be unable to do any significiant harm on him, and Thanos displayed being able to take a slash to the leg from Drax's knives and Star-Lord's blaster shots while surprised and only flinched and he was able to effortlessly catch blows from Drax and Strange using their weapons. He was also almost instantly back on his feet after being exposed to a powerful stunning device implanted by Star-Lord and remained uninjured after having a massive pillar dropped on him and colliding with a Necrocraft at full speed. He was completely unharmed by all of Iron Man's Mark L Armor weapon and repulsor attacks, even mocking Stark for drawing only minimal blood after all his efforts. He even remained completely unfazed and uninjured when Star-Lord furiously unleashed a barrage of shots and calmly warped himself out. During the Battle of Wakanda, he was completely unfazed by shots from Winter Soldier, remained uninjured and barely hurt by Captain America's collapsible shields blows, and was able to withstand the energy attacks from Scarlet Witch as well as a powerful lightning blast from Stormbreaker without harm. Thor needed to put in all of his power into the maul in order for it to severely injure him and notably, even that was not enough to kill him, even after Thor twisted the axe as deep as he could into Thanos, with Thanos retaining enough strength to activate and use the Infinity Gauntlet at the scale needed to wipe out half of the universe, surviving such vast display of power despite the severe injury, although it did cause him to briefly entered a catatonic state but he quickly recovered, even going as far as to mock Thor for not aiming at his head.
- Superhuman Agillity: Thanos has shown superhuman levels of agillity far greater than regular humans despite his large and muscular body, as shown when he was able to jump high from a piece of debris into the air to dodge Doctor Strange's fiery rays and then land perfectly on his feet without any problems.
- Superhuman Reflexes: Thanos, despite his size and muscular body, possess incredulous superhuman reflexes, as he was able to effortlessly dodge a few blows from Hulk, and then instantly struck him multiple times before Hulk had a chance to respond. Thanos also easily reacted to Loki's swift attempt to kill him, effortlessly choking Loki to death before the latter could react. With just a single hand, Thanos was able to easily grab Gamora before she could strike him with Godslayer (which Thanos broke in the process), and to even react to the extremely agile Spider-Man's attacks, eventually getting a grip on him and pinning Spider-Man down, as well as casually react to the highly agile Black Panther's full speed charge with a single hand and effortlessly punch Captain America before he could react while he was blocking Thanos's Gauntlet hand. He also was able to easily catch Iron Man Mark L Armor's sword and then break it and stab him with the piece before he could react. He could easily react to and outspace both Drax the Destroyer and Doctor Strange's moves even while his sight was hampered by a web cotton and also managed to quickly overtook Nebula and deliver a powerful punch that send her flying. While Thor was able to surprise and punched off a portion of Thanos's helmet, Thanos soon effortlessly kicked him away before he could react. He has also been shown to be able to easily react to the bullets of War Machine Armor: Mark IV and Okoye's spear when she threw it at him, allowing him to easily repel them with the Gauntlet's powers.
After inserting the Infinity Gauntlet into his left arm, with his extradionary raw power and physical constitution permitting, Thanos acquires the potential to safely collectively harness the power of all six Infinity Stones by inserting them into the Gauntlet, gaining their dominion over the fabrics of reality and more power. After completing the Gauntlet, Thanos's power became so nearly infinite that he can wipe out half of the universe with a snap of his fingers even while severely injured. He also displays that due to his extensive research of the Stones, he has a vast amount of advanced mastery and knowledge and understanding of their powers, allowing him to instantly master and use them combatively to great effect, making it nearly impossible to defeat him.
- Regenerative Healing Factor: After completing the Infinity Gauntlet, it's power can quickly heal his wounds regardless of severity or blood-loss. The Gauntlet's healing factor is so powerful that not only did Thanos completely recover from all the wounds he sustained from fighting the heroes, but even the severe wound that Thor wielding the devastatingly powerful Stormbreaker dealt also completely vanished without any trace of it ever being there.
- Combining The Stones: Thanos can use the power of several Stones silmutaneously to enhance and expand their effects.
- Terrain Manipulation: Thanos can combine the Reality and Space Stones to manipulate the terrain at such a vast scale as to pull the surface of Titan itself to force Doctor Strange to his hand.
- Energy Blocking and Redirecting: Combining the Power and Reality Stones, Thanos can block any source of energy from being used and then redirect the energy intended to be unleashed to other surfaces, as shown when he prevented Black Panther from using his energy pulse by blocking the nanites of the Habit from being used and then redirected it to the ground to make the fall harder.
- Death Inducement: Quite possibly the Gauntlet's deadliest power, after completing it and causing the Infinity Stones to reach their highest level of power, Thanos can induce death at a universal scale with a snap of his fingers by combining the Reality, Time and Soul Stones, causing the victims to quickly age and die, their bodies turning to dust and their souls erased from existence, even wiping out half of the universe with a snap of his fingers after being wounded by Thor, although doing so in such a weakened state caused him to briefly enter a catatonic state and scorched the Gauntlet and his arm.
- Energy Manipulation: After acquiring the Power Stone, Thanos gains complete control over the destructive force of the universe. He primarily projects the violently explosive and destructively lethal purple fire-like energy the Stone is composed of in the form of many energy attacks of extradionary power, applying incredible amounts of concussive force that are even potentially capable of outright destroying objects with its volatile power or incatipating and greatly damaging even the most durable of individuals, with his raw power and verstaility with the Stone's energy projections being far greater than Ronan's use, such as destructively powerful blasts capable of effortlessly cleaving through structures, forcing back a shielded Iron Man and heavily damaging the Avenger's armor with a single point-blank blast, and can wildly unleash it as shockwaves easily powerful enough to knock out the highly resillient Nebula, Drax, and Star-Lord instantly, or focus them into repulsive waves easily enough to blast away the heroes during the Battle of Wakanda, even the superhumanly resillient Winter Soldier and Captain Ameroca, as well as repel the incredibly sharp sonic spear of Okoye and blast her away with ease. He can also use it defensively by emitting the Stone's energy through the Gauntlet and placing it on the path of attacks causing a purple force-field to appear and block the attack, which was easily potent enough to block Iron Man's repulsors even when the latter used both of his hands to emit 2 blasts at once. However, in addition to the energy projections, Thanos also shows that with his exceptional familiarity and mastery of the Power Stone's capabillities that he is able to manipulate the Stone's explosive energy for more diverse feats, such as empowering the Gauntlet with it, making it strong enough to destroy a dimensional gateway to the Mirror Dimension, and most commonly, manipulating and unleashing it's destructive energy to charge objects with unstable explosive energy with just a single gesture from the Gauntlet, causing them to overload and violently detonate. This abillity has great versatility and combat potential as Thanos can control the time and size of the detonation, whether instantly or slowly or how devastating, as he used the Stone to slowly overload and detonate the damaged Statesman after retrieving the Space Stone, giving himself time to teleport him and his Children out. During the Battle of Titan, Thanos used the Stone's energy and versatile destructive powers to devastating effect, violently and instantly detonating a ruined spaceship fragment that was dropped on him by Iron Man, and was even powerful enough to rip apart the surface of Titan's moon with its sheer power. He also displays the abillity to apply the Stone's violent and powerful energy more subtly, such as using it as a very effective form of torture, with him being able to limit the amount of energy send into his target's body so as not to instantly kill them. During the Attack on the Statesman, Thanos utilised the Stone to effectively torture an injured Thor, pushing the Stone into his head and causing the nearly invulnerable Asgardian excruciating pain using its energy. Used together with the Space Stone, Thanos also brutally tortured Nebula with its power, by telekinetically pulling her mechanical components apart while silmutaneously exerting the Stone's energy to electrocute her, causing her severe pain but controlling the level of energy he sent at Nebula precisely enough to not kill her.
- Space Manipulation: After inserting the Space Stone into the Infinity Gauntlet, Thanos gains absolute control over space. From the Space Stone, Thanos acquires the common power to open portals to anywhere he desires in the universe, allowing him to effortlessly travel to anywhere he desires instantly without needing any other form of transportation. As such, he easily warped to Knowhere, Titan and finally Wakanda in an instant. Thanos's control over the portals are shown to be uncommonly extremely precise, as he can choose what objects and people gets warped along with him, as shown when he prevented anyone from following him and even can remove the impaled Stormbreaker from his chest upon teleporting, as well as decide the size of portals to allow him to warp multiple people silmutaneously or just big enough to warp himself and another person, as shown when he created a portal large enough to engulf him and his children to warp themselves out of the exploding Statesman and later warped both Gamora and himself. However, with his exceptional familiarity and mastery of the Space Stone's powers, Thanos displays that he can use it's control over space to achieve a wide plethora of potent and dangerous capabillities and are not limited to simply teleportation, allowing hik to use it liberally in battle to great effect. He skillfully ultilises the Space Stone as a form of very powerful telekinesis by warping the fabric of space around objects to conjure great amounts of crushing, freezing, and pulling forces to very effectively manipulate them with a single gesture, an abillity that was among his most often used. He was able to effortlessly freeze Loki's dagger when it almost stabbed him, crush the guns of War Machine's armor and collapse Falcon's Wings and was even so powerful that Thanos used the Stone to telekinetically pull pieces of Titan's shattered moon to rain down on his foes. He also can achieve far more variable and verstaile capabillities apart from Telekinesis in combat, such as generating powerful compression forces capable of creating devastating singularities, shown when he compressed the remains of a dimensional gateway to the Mirror Dimension to a small but sucking vortex to throw at Strange, conjuring force fields of blue energy powerful enough to instantly vaporize the bullets of War Machine easily and even repel the energy of Scarlet Witch, and even phasing and unphasing objects out of space to render them incorporeal and just as easily make them corporeal again, as shown when he made Hulkbuster fall harmlessly through him and then trapped him in solid-stone.
- Time Manipulation: After inserting the Time Stone into the Infinity Gauntlet, Thanos acquires complete control over time. He seems to activate the Time Stone by clenching and then moving the Gauntlet to the opposite direction before directing it's palm and causing the image of the Time Manipulation Magic to appear as he waves it around while directed at the target. His skill with the Time Stone's powers are far more refined than Doctor Strange, as he can rewind time to recreate certain events with such finesse as to truly recreate an object as powerful as an Infinity Stone and ressurect someone while keeping those he wished to remain from being affected, as he managed to succesfully recreate the Mind Stone and ressurect Vision while keeping the heroes from being affected to prevent them from trying to stop him. After completing the Gauntlet and enhancing the Time Stone to it's highest level of power, Thanos's power over time grew so much that he becomes able to affect even living beings to flash-forward and acclerate the lives of others to the point of causing death at a global scale, which remained at full potential regardless of Thanos's condition, as even after being severely wounded by Stormbreaker, Thanos still succesfully used the Time Stone alongside the other Stones to wipe out half of the universe, with him using the Time Stone to quickly age the victims and cause them to die.
- Reality Manipulation: After inserting the Reality Stone into the Infinity Gauntlet, Thanos acquires complete control over reality. With his exceptional understanding and mastery of it's powers, Thanos can warp reality to such a great extent as to achieve a variety of powerful effects, even greater than Malekith's use. With the Reality Stone, Thanos gains the abillity to alter reality to such extent as to create highly elaborate physical simulations and illusions of false realities over a wide range of influence. Prior to the Ambush on Knowhere, Thanos used the Stone to create a false illusion of himself interrogating the Collector in a completely deserted Knowhere, in order to fool the approaching Guardians of the Galaxy and mask the colony's true status as burning down and utterly ruined. Prior to the Battle of Titan, another illusion was shown by Thanos to Doctor Strange, showing the planet Titan in its peaceful prime, in a time before it became an uninhabited wasteland. The illusions are highly convincing to the point where they can be physically interacted with, with the daughter of Thanos, Gamora, able to engage in physical combat and even slay the false illusion of Thanos. Thanos was also able to render himself invisible using the Reality Stone, as upon unveiling the illusion, he initially talked to Gamora without Gamora being able to see him before revealing himself. He also acquires the power to warp and transmute any object and environment to anything he wants, using it very effectively to render weapons and oncoming attacks useless, such as when he silently transmuted his Quad Blasters to harmlessly fire bubbles, before transforming the weapon itself into bubbles, and would later do the same to Gamora's dagger on Vormir to prevent her committing suicide, transform and manipulate other parts of the environment to use against his enemies, as shown during the Battle of Titan and Battle of Wakanda, when he transmuted a field of ship wreckage into a swarm of bats to attack Iron Man and spawned a cage of stone pillars to trap Black Widow. He can even manipulate the bodies of others with the Reality Stone, as shown when he effortlessly incatipated Guardians Drax and Mantis by temporarily warping their physical bodies, splitting Drax's body into pieces and turning Mantis into still-conscious strips of flesh. After completing the Infinity Gauntlet and the Reality Stone reached the height of it's powers, this power became so much more potent that Thanos becomes able to actually permanently destroy the bodies of others by turning them to dust at whim on a universal scale, which does not seem to be weakened by his physical condition, as even with Stormbreaker grievously wounding him by being impaled deep to his chest, he still proved capable of using the Reality Stone at the scale needed to cause the bodies of the victims of his genocide to disintegrate to dust with just a single snap of his fingers. He also acquires the power to prevent the warping of dimensions, as he was able to prevent Doctor Strange's gateway to the Mirror Dimension to trap him inside the dimension before crushing it with the Power Stone.
- Soul Manipulation: After inserting the Soul Stone into the Infinity Gauntlet, Thanos acquires complete control over souls as well as dominion over the cycle of life and death. As rumored for being the most dangerous Infinity Stone, possessing it presumably grants Thanos the divine authority to decide who lives and who dies. With it, Thanos can detect the souls of others, as he used it to find out the real Doctor Strange from the dozen copies the sorcerer conjured, and can use it to make the Power Stone able to attack the very soul of others, as he was able to not only disperse the copies but also briefly push Doctor Strange's Astral Form out of his body. After completing the Gauntlet and the Soul Stone reached it's highest level of power, the Stone's control over souls grew to such an extent that Thanos gains the power to wipe out the souls of others from existence on a universal scale at whim, an abillity that remained at full potential regardless of Thanos's physical condition, as even with Thanos being badly wounded by Stormbreaker, he still proved able to use the Soul Stone at the scale needed to erase the souls of the victims of his genocide with a single snap of his fingers.
- Genius-Level Intellect: Even at his youth, Thanos was deemed a genius among his kind, despite his deformation. His long life allowed Thanos to refine his intellectual aptitude to the highest degree, making him quite possibly the most intelligent being in the universe. His intellect contributes to his ability to conquer many worlds. By simply using his manipulative and strategic skills, he indirectly causes the Battle of Xandar and Chitauri Invasion, both of which caused the formations of the Guardians of the Galaxy and the Avengers to fight their respective battles. All the while, Thanos remained effectively anonymous, enough that even the extremely intelligent Iron Man was unable to figure out Loki had been aided by Thanos in his invasion, and with the equally intelligent Doctor Strange initially not having Thanos on his list of otherworldly threats. It was only after Thor received a vision on the Infinity Stones that he was able to figure out Thanos' involvement, with Thor admitting that Thanos had been using his intellect to play a very intricate game and has effectively used the Avengers as pawns without them even realizing it until Thor saw the vision. Thanos was even clever enough to easily outsmart the incredibly smart Loki himself on more than one occasion - he not only successfully used Loki as a pawn without the latter realizing it for a long time, but he was later also able to successfully finish off the God of Mischief by easily predicting that he would attempt an assassination and countering it casually. Thanos also easily deceived the Guardians of the Galaxy into letting their guard down, thus allowing Thanos to incapacitate them and capture Gamora.
- Master Manipulator: Thanos is an exceptionally skillful and cunning manipulator, far surpassing even Loki, the God of Mischief himself who was famous for his manipulation abilities. Without leaving his throne, Thanos ultimately caused both the Chitauri Invasion and the Battle of Xandar by easily and effectively manipulating other powerful and intelligent beings such as Loki and Ronan. Thor himself noted that Thanos has effectively manipulated the Avengers for his own goals.
- Master Tactician: Thanos is the greatest master of strategy and tactics, having millennia worth of knowledge and experience in tactical warfare. Even without using his immense powers and combat skills, he succeeded in conquering many worlds relying purely on his tactical genius alone. Thanos's tactical genius and ingenuity allows him to create extremely complex and well-coordinated plans and execute them effectively, with the strategies he created and employed being so effective that he gave the Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy immense trouble by causing the Battle of Xandar and Chitauri Invasion all the while remaining effectively anonymous easily fooling even the most intelligent Humans on Earth such as Iron Man and Bruce Banner from figuring out Loki had been aided by Thanos in his invasion, and eluding Doctor Strange's list of otherworldly threats. It was only after Thor received a vision on the Infinity Stones that he was able to figure out Thanos' involvement, with Thor admitting that Thanos had been playing a very intricate game and effectively used the Avengers as pawns without them even realizing it until Thor saw the vision. Thanos is even a far more superior tactician than Loki, who was famous for being a crafty genius in orchestrating cunning schemes, as he easily deceived the God of Mischief into becoming his minion and later easily predicted and outsmarted Loki's attempt to assassinate him. Thanos's strategical intuition also allows him to accurately predict incoming events and effectively manipulate said events to his advantage, as he was able to anticipate the Guardians going to Knowhere to retrieve the Reality Stone and arrived there before they could prevent him from taking it. Thanos even went as far as to set up a brilliant trap for the Guardians by casting an illusion to fool them into believing that he is still torturing the Collector for the Reality Stone while in actuality he had acquired the Reality Stone long before they arrived, all the while easily manipulating Gamora using illusions specifically seen in her mind to lure her into emotionally charging at Thanos, which worked to a great effect, catching Gamora and the Guardians completely off-guard and allowing Thanos to successfully capture Gamora and escape from the Guardians uninjured. Thanos is able to create effective strategies in the midst of combat, as he efficiently employed Titan's strong gravitational pull to separate much of his opposers by breaking and launching the pieces of Titan's moon at his enemies from the atmosphere so as to make them much more rapid and faster, forcing Spider-Man to focus solely on saving the incatipated Guardians and allowing Thanos to engage and overpower Doctor Strange and Iron Man, eventually culminating in Strange being forced to surrender the Time Stone to Thanos. Thanos can also swiftly think his way out of debilitating, nearly impossible to overcome, setbacks, as after Scarlet Witch destroyed the Mind Stone, Thanos was unfazed, due to now having the Time Stone, and swiftly reversed time prior to Vision's destruction while taking care as to not include the heroes in the time reversal to prevent them from attempting to stop him, thus allowing Thanos to finally complete the Gauntlet and render Vision's sacrifice in vain. Even after Thor severely wounded him, a once again unfazed Thanos convincingly pretended that he was close to death before revealing that he will still live and can still accomplish his mission by sarcastically mocking Thor for not aiming for his head, catching Thor off-guard and stunning him long enough that Thanos was able to snap his fingers before Thor could react.
- Master Combatant: Thanos is the most powerful warrior in the universe with millennia worth of fighting experience. Thanos's supreme combat skills supplemented by his colossal physical prowess enable him to overpowered even the strongest enemies. Under his tulage, the Black Order including Gamora herself became extremely formidable fighters. He effortlessly beat Hulk ( the former undefeatable champion of the Grandmaster's Contest of Champions) to a bloody pulp, easily single-handedly defeated and beat a mature Thor half-to death, effortlessly overpowered and restrained Gamora before she could react and take up Godslayer, casually fought off both Doctor Strange using a sword made of Eldritch Magic, and Drax with his knives and quickly overwhelmed them (while his sight was hampered by a web cotton), effortlessly fought off and swiftly pummel Spider-Man with only one hand (while his other hand was restricted by the Cloak of Levitation), easily fought off and quickly defeated Nebula wielding her batons despite being distracted by her mentions of Gamora, easily pummeled Iron Man despite Iron Man's nanotech Mark L armor and swiftly disarmed him of his sword and grievously wounded him with it, with only Doctor Strange's intervention saving Iron Man from death, easily countered Black Panther's charge by choking him with a single hand and then pummeled him to the ground with a single punch and effortlessly defeated and knocking out Captain America with a single blow. It was only with a sneak attack that Thor armed with Stormbreaker was able to land a severe wound on Thanos.
- In the comics, Thanos was a member of the Eternals, a race of superpowered beings that descended from a caste of humans genetically enhanced by the Celestials. Thanos himself was the son of Mentor, the leader of an Eternal colony on Saturn's moon of Titan. Much of Thanos' villainous motivations in the comics revolve around his romantic feelings for the entity Death. In the famous Infinity Gauntlet storyline, he became the master of the Infinity Gauntlet, which he used to murder most of the universe's inhabitants in an attempt Death. He has never displayed any relationships with Loki nor the Chitauri, but he is nevertheless one of the Avengers' most historical foes. When he took a break from being a conqueror, Thanos was entrusted with the Reality Gem of the Infinity Gems.
- The name "Thanos" is based on the name of the mythological Greek figure Thanatos, meaning "death".
Behind the ScenesEdit
- Thanos' presence in The Avengers was kept top secret until the release of the movie.
- Damion Poitier was credited as "Man 1" despite actually playing Thanos.
- Josh Brolin was uncredited for his appearances in Guardians of the Galaxy and Avengers: Age of Ultron.
- Along with Bruce Banner, James Rhodes, Howard Stark and Fandral, Thanos is one of the few characters in the Marvel Cinematic Universe played by different actors in different movies.
- It was Joss Whedon's idea to reveal Thanos as the true villain of The Avengers, but ironically he considered the villain too difficult to write.
- Thanos was the main villain in Nicole Perlman's draft of Guardians of the Galaxy: Whedon asked Thanos's role be downsized and Gunn agreed.
- Joss Whedon assisted James Gunn with the casting of Thanos.
- Josh Brolin took inspiration from Marlon Brando's performance as Colonel Kurtz in Apocalypse Now in his portrayal of Thanos.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Guardians of the Galaxy Prelude
- ↑ Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
- ↑ The Avengers
- ↑ The Avengers Mid-credits Scene
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Guardians of the Galaxy
- ↑ Avengers: Age of Ultron Mid-credits Scene
- ↑ How Avengers: Age of Ultron Nearly Killed Joss Whedon
- ↑ James Gunn on Twitter, 2 December 2015
- ↑ Guardians of the Galaxy press con in Singapore - James Gunn on GoTG and the MCU
- ↑ Josh Brolin Talks Thanos’ Love for Death, Future Appearances, Character Comparisons, and More